Uploading GEDCOM files
The GEDCOM file format is the universal way of transferring family trees between different genealogy websites or software programs. If you've already entered your family tree somewhere electronic, then you can very easily move that data to Treelines!
The overall process is that you will:
- Step 1: Export your tree from its current location in the GEDCOM format
- Step 2: Save the GEDCOM file somewhere handy on your computer
- Step 3:Upload it from your computer to the Treelines website
We only accept file sizes under 1 megabyte. You may need to export only part of your tree and exclude all multimedia to make sure you're below the quota. Don't worry—you can upload multiple trees. But you can only attach a story to one tree at a time, so please keep this in mind as you split your tree.
We keep your family tree private, only sharing the small parts of it you choose to include in your stories.
- Select your family tree from the "Family Trees" dropdown in the site navigation to bring up the web page with your family tree.
- On the "Tree Pages" link that appears next to the name of your tree, click on the "Tree Settings" link.
- Click the green "Export Tree" button towards the bottom-left of the settings page and follow the instructions from there.
- On the "Family Tree" tab in the site navigation click the "Manage Trees" link.
- Click the "Export to GEDCOM" link that shows up with the name of the tree you want to export and follow the instructions from there.
- From the "Family" link in the site navigation, click on the "Share Your Tree" link in the dropdown.
- Click the "GEDCOM" link at the bottom of the page and follow the instructions from there.
Desktop software programs
Most software programs work the same way!
- Click on the "File" menu in the top-left of the program window.
- You should see an export option. It could be named "Export," "Export GEDCOM," "Export file," or "Save As" depending on the program. Follow the program's instructions from there to save it as a GEDCOM (.ged) file.